BigWallop

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 19:59:33 -0000, Ro
strung together this:

I'm sure that the MCB is correct, since that's never been changed. What
I'm unsure of is whether the correct fuse is fitted, since I suspect that
it has been changed.

Is it normal for the fuse to have a lower rating than the MCB?

Could be intentional. It all depends on what size the supply cable is.
The different sizes could be due to the fact that that's what the
installer happened to have to hand.

As Lurch says, the cables from the main fuse might be to small for a larger fuse
to be fitted. The fuse is there to protect the wiring directly from it, so it
might be intentional for a smaller fuse to have been fitted.

The fact that the switch gear is of a higher rating is of no consequence to the
main fuse at the supply head, it just comes as part of the consumer unit when
bought, as a standard piece of kit. But the wiring gauge from the main fuse
might demand that a certain rating of fuse be fitted for proper safety.

You'd need to find out more about the whole installation for anyone to help you
more on this.