AlanC

Default Advise on replacing shower pump

Hi,

Our shower pump has started playing up today (Newteam Varispeed 50 duel
impeller). The water flow wasnt about half of what it normally is, so
thinking it was an air-lock, I switched it off and set the speed up to
max and switched it on again. I have done this in the past a couple of
times, but this time nothing happened when I switched it on. As I was
dripping wet, I thought better of digging any further (water and
electrics !) so continued with the shower (a pathetic dribble) with the
power off. When I went to investigate, it started working ! My wife
went for her shower after and the same thing happened again.

It sounds like an over heating problem. The pump was installed in 98
and is in the airing cupboard.

Is there anything I can do about this ? I am guessing not as there
doesnt seem to be much to replace and I suspect that any parts would
probably cost close to a new pump.

I was thinking of replacing it. My preference would be for something
that will replace it without any pipe alterations. The Newteam
varispeed is still made, so that would be ideal, but I was also looking
at the Duraspeed. This has the benifit of being rated for constant use
(appears to have a built in fan). The only downside it that it
requires its feed pipes to be straigh, whereas the Varispeed are bent
through 90deg. The connectors on the pump are in the same location,
its just the flexi pipes that are supplied have a built in right angle.
Is there any reason why I couldnt just use the existing flexi
connectors and just swap out the pump.

TIA

Alan