William R. Walsh wrote:
(snip)
Given that it was picked up from a "high income" part of town and the

fact
that it is in nice condition, I'd say it lived a very nice and calm

life
until its owner found that it would no longer play CDs properly. Then

out
the door it went. Happens more often in that part of town than I'd

care to
talk about it. I've gotten a lot of really nice stuff just by waiting

for
trash day and then picking up whatever I find interesting. TV
sets...Microwaves...whole computer systems (including some very

modern
ones)...misc stuff...

I think there was a thread on a subject ike this in alt.dumpster-diving
(or similar) a few years ago. amazing what you can find. More amazing
(and worrying) is how people are prepared to just toss stuff, too.

I think that fully 90% of what I pick up could be resold for profit,

but
I've never done it that. What I can't use I give to others who need

it more
than I do.

My parents-in-law have a house in the country fully kitted out with
lamps, stereos, microwaves, clock radios, TVs/VCRs in all rooms, etc.
purely thru' my scavenging/repairing, from years back!

I find this kind of thing to be fun...and I think in my own
little way that I'm saving the world from one more piece of equipment

flying
into an already overburdened landfill.

Hear hear. I think it's also a great way of learning if you approach
the repair task with an open mind and try to understand as well as just
"fix". I have made many a good find in the street, although I don't
often have the time to go hunting as much these days.

regards, Ben