Lurch

Default Wiring Wickes security light

On 10 Mar 2004 12:10:24 -0800, in uk.d-i-y (4-LOM)
strung together this:

I've just got a 150W PIR security light from Wickes, but the "manual"
(sorry, I mean scrap of paper) isn't very helpful. I can see how to
wire it up to run on automatic all the time, with an isolation switch
to turn it off completely, but I want to know how to set it up for
manual override. The "manual" says "see later sections for manual
override wiring" but these later sections don't seem to exist. Which?
Guide just says "follow the instructions"!

Ideally I'd like to be able to override it manually from two different
places, which involves the added complication of two way swithing,
although I don't even know if this is possible atm.

It depends on how the internals are wired. If there is a 'spare'
terminal not mentioned in the instructions with 2 wires in it already
then that will most probably be the 'override' terminal. If you run a
switched live to this terminal then when the switch is on, the light
is on and vice-versa. If this is the way then wire the override wiring
as below but also run an additional permanent live into the fitting.

OTOH if there are only 3 terminals then you can't do that. Some lights
overrides work by turning the supply to it on and off two or three
times in quick succession. If this is the way then just wire the
supply to the fitting as a normal two way lighting circuit.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.