tzipple

J. Clarke wrote:
Leon wrote:

"Frank Ketchum" wrote in message
link.net...

"W.L.Hall Workshop" wrote in message

SawStop has provided us with a spare brake cartridge, so we will be
"test
firing" a saw on Thursday, Jan 13th at 3:00pm. Your welcome to join us
if your in the area (Minneapolis).

Wish I could. Would it be possible to take a video of the test and post?

I have had doubts that the speed at which the saw stop system responds is
adequate for the level of protection that they claim. I assume you are
going to use a hot dog or some such to test this thing. Consider the
speed at which the "finger" is moving when it contacts the blade. I am
curious if the system will be adequate for a finger approaching the blade
at something like 2000 mm/sec (about 6.5 feet/sec) which is the hand
speed constant used to calculate safe distances in automation equipment
with electronic safe guarding.

I believe in the real world you hand is moving no where near 4.5 MPH
during any operation around a TS unless you are jerking you hand back.

While I doubt that anyone would move wood through the saw that fast, if you
hand slips or something startles you that's another story. 4.5 MPH is a
fast walk--it's not hard to move your hand faster than that.

And according to Sawstop's own claims about stopping time, the blade would
be 10mm (not quite half an inch) into your finger, which for most of us
means your finger would be more off than on--it might be hanging together
by a bone sliver and the flesh on one side but it will definitely not be in
good shape.

Hmmm, I recall a woodworking journal publishing a test a couple of
issues ago that included whaping chicken leg as fas as they could into
the blade. It resouted in a small cut (1-2 stitch size).... pretty
limited damage considering.