Larry Jaques

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 09:17:23 GMT, Gunner
calmly ranted:

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 20:25:20 -0500, "George H Hughes"

#238 is actually called a P38. It is a can opener that came about WWII and
the Korean War for opening those infamous rations. They even ended up being
given out along with some canned good in the stores at one time......
I may even still have one or two around here some place....

You mean you dont keep one on your keychain?

Sigh..no pocket knife or cigarette lighter either I suppose...

I keep a pocket knife in my pocket. And I have both P38s and
cigarette lighters in my bug-out bag and extra backpacks.

Snow update: after climbing up to the roof to piddle water on the
sat antenna for the second time yesterday, I got into Thomas Perry's
"Metzger's Dog". During the blackouts (2 yesterday, totaling 5 hours)
I used the HF Handy Light (which I store in the shop to come on when
the lights go out). It worked fine, and one bulb was enough to provide
enough reading light for all 5 hours. I finished the book last night
at midnight, in tears. Two Thumbs Up! That's a Must Read, and I'm
off to the library tomorrow for more of his work.

Samples of his humor: "The secret history of the world is that the
French concentrated on placing chefs in all of the major cities, and
the British concentrated on taking over those places so they could get
something decent to eat. If you spend time in England, you begin to
wonder if all animals are made up entirely of innards."

"Pines as having difficulty holding his earnest expression, which was
not designed for asking questions, so he only looked as though some
part of his body hurt."

"The sunlight now beat into the bowl of Dodger Stadium, heating the
seats and the concrete steps so that food and drinks spilled months
ago cooked and released a perfumy essence into the air."

Anyway, Perry is an excellent author who provides a complex and
entertaining book throughout. Highly recommended.

---
- Sarcasm is just one more service we offer. -
http://diversify.com Web Applications