hvsteve

I appreciate all the "spirited" responses to my post. Here is an
update.

I called the insurance company and,while making sure to go on record
that there may not be a claim,they sent an adjuster. He looked over the
situation and did not see all that much mold (I'm not trained,and I can
see it) but did note a lot of physical damage from the flooding. What
surprised me was his asking for the phone number so he could contact
the guy who wanted 23 grand for the cleanup. I'd like to have heard
that discussion.

I also found a local company that does environmental testing and is
experienced with mold. They would test and outline the scope of the
problem. They could also supply a list of companies that do this kind
of cleanup if I wish. It would cost a few hundred for them to show up
and up to five or six hundred total depending on the amount of testing
they have to send to the lab. I would not call them in unless the
insurance company wants no part of the deal. Should the insurance
company say there is a claim,I might try to get them to foot the bill
for this kind of testing.

I guess what I will do now is what to hear from my insuror. I will keep
the group posted as I could see the amount of interest and varying
opinion on this case.

I guess