Wanderer

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 09:37:37 +0000 (UTC), Steve P wrote:

I have now found out that my cordless phone with 2 cordless extensions
has stopped working presumably because of power problems. Anybody know
if the Electric Company pay compensation for damaged equipment?

"Steve P" wrote in message
At about 10.30 this morning I noticed several appliances in the house
not working and lights were dim. On taking a meter to the main
incoming supply I was supprised to find only 120-140V on the incoming
supply. Asked next door neighbour if he was having problems but he
wasn't and house opposite was OK as well! I rang Seeboard thinking my
electric meter was faulty and they put me through to the main
suppliers who took a fault report and said they would call me back
(still waiting) at 16.00 I rang the main 0800 number and an automated
announcement said they were aware of a fault in the
Brighton/Rottingdean area. At 18.00 all power went off in the area and
about 30secs later everything cames back on at full 240V. Rang
helpline again and it stated "there was an overhead supply problem".
Throughout the period of low voltage (10.30-18.00) the only thing that
worked correctly was my 28in widescreen TV!
I am assuming my TV can operate on any voltage from 110 to 240?
As the whole estate is fed by underground supply how come neighbours
were OK, I got 110V and the street lights didn't work at all?

Thoughts please?

At a guess, I reckon Stephen Dawson most likely had the correct reason for
the problem, although it might have been a tree bringing down just one
phase of a high voltage circuit rather than a broken hv jumper. If you
happen to live in a fairly remote rural location, it's quite possible that
the hv protection failed to isolate the problem.

As to compensation, not unless you can show the company were negligent.
Questions to ask a 'When was the circuit last given a routine
inspection? How often should the circuit be inspected? Is there any record
on the line inspection data that might indicate there was a potential fault
brewing? Is there any record of tree cutting needed anywhere along the
circuit that normally supplies my electricity? What actually caused the
broken jumper or conductor?'

Bearing in mind that we've had a couple of days of very windy weather, I
think you've very little chance of proving negligence on the part of
SeeBoard unless you can prove that there was a pre-gales condition that
they knew about and failed to correct.

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net