Unisaw A100

megold.andrew wrote:
So I purchased a new woodworking book today, and they detail the use of
a combination planer/ jointer. Do these exist still? Or rather are they
still being made?

Yes and yes but I'm not sure what it is you've seen. The
Hitachi P12RA is a side-by-side machine with a dedicated
jointer and dedicated planer. Others might make one also.
I believe Makita made one once upon a time.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...27358?v=glance

There are also machines that combine the two machines using
the same cutter head like a Rojek (there are others). It
requires that you choose the function and configure the
machine (move the jointer bed out of the way to use it as a
planer) at the time you are using it.

http://www.rojekusa.com/PHP/msp310m.php

Anyways, the long and the short of it is, yes they are still
made.

Are they worth the purchase price?

I can't answer that. I will say that the Rojek style
machines (there are other manufacturers) offer the nicety of
a wider jointer (the same width as the planer built into the
same machine). For that alone some people are tempted to
have one.

Another neat little featurette of the Rojek is an available
at any time slot mortiser add on.

http://www.rojekusa.com/PHP/msp415.php

I am trying to figure out a way to only buy one of these toys as the basement is
growing smaller with each week, but think I ultimately need both...

The latter is true.

UA100