There can be a long and apparently a legitimate debate over whether mold
presents a significant risk. However, I don't think we need to step
into that debate here. Whether or not the OP or others will experience
health risks frfrom the state of the house after a DIY cleanup is debatable;
what I think is *not* in question is that, currently, having a mold issue
in a house will likely have an effect on the value of the house. Maybe
this should be true and maybe it shouldn't, but it does *currently* seem
to be true. Perhaps this will change in the future, but we don't know
that right now. Given that, in order to mitigate *financial* loss and
risk, I would have the problem remediated professionally, even if I
felt that it was a bit of a ripoff. I know this is not the ideal state
of affairs, but it would be my way of trying to deal the situation
in a dispassionate way that best serves my own interests. As someone
suggested, one could cover up the problem and not disclose its existence,
but that seems risky to me.

--
Mike Lacy, Ft Collins CO 80523