Glenna Rose

valleskey.at.comcast.dot.net writes:

don't bend that stuff too sharp. It will break. DAMHIKT.

Those little girls can have a blast with mirrors. Bet they love it!

-Dan V.

No worry, I won't bend it too much. It only takes a slight curve to really
distort the reflection.

They are very much at the face-making age, so this will be timely.

writes:
I take it you mean your grandkids' other grandma, and not the only
other grandma in your town? Just curious.

Yes, silly.g They do, however, have several grandmothers. In addition
to the two of us, they have three great-grandmothers and a
great-great-grandmother (*my* grandmother!). In that line-up, being
*just* a grandmother seems somehow not so much. LOL It's only the two of
us that are in town, everyone else is long-distance and doesn't get to see
them very much so we get the bulk of the spoil-time. Sadly, the uncle
that would spoil them most isn't with us anymore. It's interesting to hear
them talk about him, like they know him because of hearing us talk about
him . . . "when your daddy and brothers were little boys" etc. In many
ways, that is good because when they lose us two grandmothers, they will
know we are still "around" because they remember though that is not likely
to happen until they are truly old enough to understand. It only comes to
mind because the other grandmother has been to hell and back this past two
months with a shoulder surgery resulting in massive blood clots in her
legs and three surgeries to clear them and many reactions to medications
along the way. Today, the grandmother of a friend of theirs died so they
will be hearing their friend talk about grandma dying.

I'm thinking shoulda got enough pieces for several of the crazy
mirrors, each bent different. Maybe I'll try to track down some, and
make some for the grand-dau.

www.tapplastic.com

It seemed good to start with just one for now and bend it into a gentle
"S" which will give both larger and smaller distortions. If it's as big a
hit as I think it will be, I'll do more later and let them help decide how
much bend to give it (within reason, as Dan said, it will break). I'm
thinking a round one, raised in the middle with a circle of plywood on top
of the base, perhaps several very thin circles in progressive larger
sizes, would make an interesting table top, or go down in the middle. The
one I'm going to make for her to actually use (the smaller one), I'm
thinking of cutting a "D" (her first initial) for a frame and putting it
in that, routing the frame edges and perhaps staining it pink (that Rit
dye someone here was talking about?) since they love pink. Before that, I
need to decide if it will go on the wall or if it will be a stand-alone.
I've considered not using the "D" idea and making it a triangle with a
shorter base (front to back) and an open frame on the back that she can
put her own pictures in from the top and change them all the time.

There are so many possible ways to use this reflective plexiglass/acrylic
with little folks, including a mirror at the back of a toy shelf for
favorite toys, and much less expensive than stainless steel! Of course,
it will get scratched, but they always have fun with things anyway. It's
only us adults that freak about the scratches and dents. g

BTW, grandsons would like them as well. Kids so love things like that.
They are so easy to please when they are little people and get so excited
about some of the simplest things. One set of nightgowns I made them came
with matching scarves for dolls; when I made Christmas place mats for
their table, I made little ones for their playroom table; they get so
excited about such things. The DVD I gave them of themselves with a dozen
or so chapters on it was a big hit as well; they got to choose which
segment they wanted to watch, over and over and over. Yup, they're a mite
spoiled, but still as sweet as little ones can be. :-) For Delaina's
fifth birthday last year, I made her a hooded Nemo jacket with pants and
skirt; she's the only one in the world with one; she had a Nemo birthday
party at pre-school so I took it to her that morning so she could wear it
to her party. It's been a long time since I did similar things for my
little boys; they've grown up as children are prone to do; it brings back
very good memories.

We're supposed to build a playhouse next spring and have been talking how
it should be. With chalk, we drew the 4x8 outline on the garage floor and
they drew where the windows and doors should be and what they would put in
it. It'll be 4x8 because last summer I scored on some 4x8 skylights for
$50 each. Two will be greenhouse roof and one will be their playhouse
roof. It won't be fancy, but they'll have fun with it. They've sort of
outgrown the plastic one (the Toys-R-Us variety), and it doesn't hold much
other than the built-in table. They have a kitchen, washer/dryer, etc.,
that I've picked up here and there for their house so it'll be fully
furnished as well. Grandparents' houses should always be fun!

The window panes will be fake cross-pieces over plexiglass, not about to
make more than one frame per window!

Glenna
not the least bit biased where
granddaughters are concerned