desperado

Default Lathe Help

-- Another way to center the tool bit on centerline of lathe is to use a
surface gage. Assuming the headstock and tailstock are in alignment, place
the surface gage along the ways of the lathe and place the tip on a live
center in the tailstock. then simply move the surface gage along the ways so
that its tip is near the tool bit tip. This works quite well with a qctp.
don paolino
"Vince C" wrote in message
I picked up a used medium size hobby type lathe but the tooling is the
wrong size. The bit is about .045" above the center line of the chuck.
I searched the web and couldn't find any info on the placement of the
tooling. Should the cutting edge be level with the horizonital center
of the chuck, slightly below? Right now it doesn't cut steel well at
all.