Tony Hwang

We just moved into a new house in end of November with berber carpet in
the family room, stairs and master bedroom. The carpet in the family
does not seem to align properly. We measured the width of the room to
confirm it is in perfect rectangular shape. Unfortunately the carpet
installer disagree with us, they said the tufting lines are bowed in
one area. I took pictures at all four sides of the carpet and I think
the entire carpet is tilted (see below links). The response from the
builder can be found at the end of the message. Can someone tell me if
the carpet installer is correct?
http://www.pbase.com/wpg_ventura/ima...94773/original
http://www.pbase.com/wpg_ventura/ima...94774/original
http://www.pbase.com/wpg_ventura/ima...94775/original
http://www.pbase.com/wpg_ventura/ima...94776/original
http://www.pbase.com/wpg_ventura/ima...94777/original

In additional, we noticed some unexplained damage spots in our carpet
(see below links). At first the damaged spots were found in the stairs
to the master bedroom and basement and the carpet installer fixed the
one found in the stair to master bedroom a few weeks ago, but more new
damaged spots are found recently and I noticed at least one in the
masterbedroom and two in the family room, the basement stairs now looks
extremely bad. The damage spots have harden surface and it feel like
it is burnt by some glue or chemical but we never spill anything on the
carpet and we use vacuum the carpet once per week. Can someone explain
what can cause these? Is the carpet defective?
http://www.pbase.com/wpg_ventura/ima...94769/original
http://www.pbase.com/wpg_ventura/ima...94770/original
http://www.pbase.com/wpg_ventura/ima...94771/original
http://www.pbase.com/wpg_ventura/ima...94772/original

http://www.pbase.com/wpg_ventura/inbox

Thanks

-------------------------
Response from the builder
-------------------------
This letter is in response to your recent e-mails regarding your berber
carpet. Your claim is that the carpet is not aligned properly.

I have inquired with RRRRR Floor Store on your behalf and asked them to
send a technician to your home to investigate this claim. BBBB BBBBBB
(the owner of Regency) inspected your carpet and confirmed that the
installation is correct. BBBB explained that the pattern in the carpet
is such that 2 "lines" should run at 45 degree angles to the wall.
He inspected the carpet and confirmed that this is the case at your
home.

The issue you are concerned with is the tufting lines. BBBB stated
that the tufting lines are bowed in one area of your carpet and never
run perfectly straight in any carpet due to the nature of the
manufacturing method. Tufting lines are often bowed; however, lining
up the pattern in the carpet with the walls correctly is the goal of
the carpet installer. The picture you sent, as well as Regency's
written report both indicate that the pattern lines up correctly.

Therefore, there is no further action required on this issue. If you
have any further questions regarding warranty standards, please do not
hesitate to contact us.

Hi,
If the house is brand new, this issue should've been addressed before
moving in at final completition inspection of the house. I am not a
carpet expert but it does not seem right. Have had 5 houses built over
the years, never came across carpet installed like this.
Tony