Dean Hoffman

On 1/8/05 2:53 PM, in article
, "coldguy"
wrote:

Hey there,
I'm having problems w/ my heating (as discussed in a previous thread),
and I want to double check the connections between the thermostat and
the boiler isn't the problem. I'm almost sure the connection is fine
(the boiler clicks whenever I set the thermostat above the current
temperature, or below the current temperature), but I want to have
direct measurements that show me that the connection is solid. What is
the best approach to doing this?

The best way to check connections usually is to redo them if you think
they might be a problem. Loosen the screw, wiggle the wire, and then
retighten. A bad connection many times will cause an intermittent problem.

I just purchased a multimeter, with the following idea in mind -- hit
the breaker on the power to the thermostat, disconnect the R & W cables
from the thermostat, place the multimeter to 50V DV (the thermostat is
24V, 50 the closest higher reading in the multimeter), flip the breaker
back on, and then place the black test lead on the W cable, and the red
test lead on the R cable. If my understanding is correct, this should
complete the circuit and my multemeter should read the voltage level.

Does this make sense, or am I misunderstanding how this works? I'm
working off of reading about cabling and doing electrical work, but all
the voltage meter docs I've seen are for wall sockets and such. I
thought I'd ping the experts before causing any havok.

Thanks

The meter might give you a false reading with the wires unhooked. Check
voltage with the wires connected and power to the load. A meter does not
put a load on the wiring or switching so you won't gain much by doing a test
the way you suggested.
I don't do HVAC work but the few units I've been around use AC voltage to
the thermostat and at least some of the controls. You'd have to set your
meter accordingly.

Dean