Leon

"LRod" wrote in message
It's a neutral. That doesn't contradict my original statement given in
my previous post. It performs a function that most closely resembles a
multiwire circuit.

The best way to think of all of this is to not think of "neutral" and
"240V" in the same breath (I think I may have mixed a metaphor there).

"Neutral" only has meaning at 120V. If there is a neutral wire in a
240V circuit it's because there is some 120V load in the appliance
that's being powered. NEC no longer permits the ground wire to perform
that function (and rightly so) in new construction. That's why you see
4 wire "240V" circuits.

Ok, I think I am see what you are saying now....Thanks