Baron

I sounds like you've had bad experiences with paint. A good paint and
job will give you what you are looking for. Here is a finish scehdule that
I used recently on an old rocking chair. The Customer wnated it painted
white.

Sand the plywood up to 220 grit. Prime with Zinsser's BIN. It is a two
or three pound cut of pigmented shellac. Lightly sand with 280 grit to
knock down any grain stuck in an upright position. Use two coats of a 100%
acrylic paint lightly sanding with 320 grit between coats. I used
Sherwin-Williams Pro-Classic as I was doing everything with a brush rather
than a spray gun. Acrylic handles differently from vinyl or vinyl / acrylic
so try it out on some scrap first. It can be easily overbrushed. Also,
wait for the paint to thoroughly dry before putting the shelves into
service, about two weeks.

The ultimate in an opaque color coat is pigmented lacquer but you must
use a spray gun.

Good Luck.

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm planning my first woodworking project - a set of shelves in our
walk-in bedroom closet. 5 shelves each about 4.5' x 14". I was planning
on using 3/4" birch plywood for the shelves since I want them pretty
smooth. Each shelf will be supported by solid pine cleats running along
the wall.

What is the best type of smooth opaque finish to use on this? It has to
be perfectly smooth so none of our sweaters will get pulls as they go
on and off the shelves. Also something cleanable would be nice. It also
has to be white. I don't think paint is going to setup smooth enough or
be cleanable. What are my other options?

Thanks!!
-Bob