Doug Brown

The April 2004 issue of Workbench Magazine (www.workbenchmagazine.com)
conducted a reveiw of 5 jobsite saws. The Ridgid TS2400LS was chosen as
Editor's Choice and the Craftsman 137.218300 was Top Value. The Ryobi
entry
in this class was the BTS20 (the BT3XXX) series is not realy a "portable"
saw.

I have the Craftsman and so far find it to be quite good. I would
(probably) bought the Ridgid but when I needed a saw the Craftsman was on
sale for $200CAN less than the Ridgid.

The other saws reveiwed were the DeWalt DW744S and the Bosch 4000-07.

These saws are far from cabinet saws let alone contractors saws but by the
same token they are much better than bench top saws.

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
oups.com...

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I am in the market for a PORTABLE table saw.

I have reviewed the archives and am still left with questions as to
which one to get.

Years ago I almost got the DeWalt DW744 (bright yellow with bubble

gum
dispenser option) but other issues demanded that I direct my

attention
to other things in life other than woodworking.

I note that Bosch, Rigid and Makita now have offerings similar to the
DeWalt.

I do understand that a contractor saw is a better value but I already
have an Unisaw sitting in the shop.

The saw that I am now looking to buy is to be used as a PORTABLE saw.

am past the years where I would place my Unisaw in the trunk of a car
to go to a jobsite.

I also have a $100 Craftsman portable saw that does fill a need on
occasion (like loaning tools to the neighbors) so I am not looking to
buy at that level of the table saw market.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

TMT

I tested a bunch of these for a contractor's magazine some time ago:
the Ridgid was best; the Craftsman was a close second.