Jim Levie

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 19:07:04 +0000, Ignoramus4718 wrote:

I am curious, what could one do to prevent "wearing out" of the knees?

My main concern is that I like to ru na lot, but do not want it to create
problems later.

Switch from running to walking. I've been told that the physical exercise
of walking one or more miles a day is as good, if not better, than running
for cardio-vascular health. The logic is that one can walk (briskly) for a
much greater distance than the average person can run. This results in a
longer period of moderate stress on the muscles and circulatory system,
which causes them to grow to handle the stress. An analogy would be
lifing weights for an hour or laying concrete blocks all day. The weight
lifter sees a higher peak stress (but for a much shorter time), but the
mason does a greater amount of work and he'll wind up in better shape.

I don't know if they all feel this way, but an acquaintance that's an
orthopaedic surgeon doesn't think much of runners. Although he does admit
that they are a good source of vacation and toy money.

--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat.