Old Nick

On 8 Jan 2005 19:07:04 GMT, Ignoramus4718
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

I am curious, what could one do to prevent "wearing out" of the knees?

Certain exercises to strengthen the muscles that support them, and
possibly to give non-impact exercise to the cartilage. Water.
Glucosamine and condroitin can't do any harm (except to your pocket?)

Interesting comment about water. I have had one knee give way, and had
old Arthur Oscope dig in there. Water definitely helps with my knees.

My main concern is that I like to ru na lot, but do not want it to
create problems later.

The above sentence is probably oxymoronic in nature.

Seriously. You will minimise damage by various means. But activity and
heredity will be the big deciders. Very few heavy (as in frequent)
runners don't get trouble. Those who don't are lucky.

If you are worried because you already have pain in your knees, then
you are in trouble. Swim? Cycle?

IN the end you should talk to people that you can sue later when their
advice is wrong! G