Andy Cuffe

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 04:33:34 -0600, "Mark D. Zacharias"
wrote:

Wow. Seeing this reminds me that Yamaha's have had bad backup caps which
leaked. Could yours have had leakage from the cap on the board?

Mark Z.

There was no leakage on the board, but it seemed to be confusing the
micro. I've seen this before when the backup cap was failing. The
worst was an 80's Fisher Hi-Fi VCR that would completely lock up in a
power failure. The only way to make it work was to hold down a hidden
reset button while plugging it in. Replacing the backup cap fix the
problem. You wouldn't think a defective cap would be any worse than a
fully discharged cap, but in some cases it causes weird problems.
I've seem dozens of defective Elna and Panasonic backup caps, but I
have never seen an NEC cap fail.
Andy Cuffe