Mike

On 08 Jan 2005 18:32:02 GMT, (BKeane71) wrote:

The beam's dimensions are 12ft 4in long, 5 1/2 in deep, and hangs 8 1/4 in from
the ceiling, which is textured plaster.

Keep in mind I don't have a bandsaw, so I won't be able to resaw. I was
thinking of using 3/4 inch material cut to size. Also, I know that I'll need
some pretty big pieces as I want the laminated beam to look like a single
piece, rather than like a beam with a bunch of different pieces of wood glued
to it.

It might depend on any budget concerns if you want to make it look
like one piece. Some type of pine would probably be cheapest if you
don't want to see seams along the 12' 4" length. You should be able
to get about any grade of pine, oak or maple in lengths long enough
and wide enough. This will require you to miter along the corners if
you don't want to see a butt joint.
You could cut the sides square and make the bottom hang over on both
sides (if you don't mind that look) to eliminate the need for two
12 '4" long mitered edges. You also might have some concerns about
how the material matches at the ceiling. It might be easier to use a
molding at the ceiling (cove or shoe or something you make) rather
than trying to scribe along the entire length
Some kind of finished plywood might be cheaper yet but you would have
one seam at 8' on each face. This would also require the lengthwise
miter unless you used a solid piece for the bottom and let it hang
over the sides
If the beam is wood, you should be able to nail directly to the beam.

Mike O.