John A. Weeks III

In article . com,
wrote:

I have a propane tank-top radiant heater (Dyna-Glo brand, purchased at
Home Depot). In the instructions, it says not to use indoors.
However, I've seen other such heaters listed as OK for indoor use. Is
there something different about this specific heater which makes it
unsafe, or is this company just more lawsuit-averse than others?

Is this a catalytic heater that has no actual flame? If so,
they use up large amounts of oxygen. As you deplete the oxygen,
your body gets low on oxygen, and it starts using carbon dioxide
in its place, leading to you going to sleep and never waking up.

There are catalytic heaters designed for home use. They have
an outside source of fuel and an oxygen depletion sensor.
Look for the ODS label on the unit.

The problem with this one is that it is tank top, which means
that it can fall over or be knocked over and start a fire.
It also has the tank in the same room with the heat source,
which is not safe. Finally, the lack of an ODS.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708

Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com