Mike

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 09:54:34 -0700, Vince Heuring
wrote:

14x14x12 before upholstery and feet. So they will slide under the
glass-topped coffee table when not in use.

There is no need to make this any more difficult than it needs to be.
If they are no larger than 14" I'd just use 3/4 plywood. If this is
just a six sided box, that is not open, the sides will give you all
the strength you need and also keep the box square. Just cut the
sizes and glue and staple all 6 sides together. Screw them or nail
them if you don't have a staple gun. If they are going to be covered
there's no need to worry about how they look. If you want to round
the edges so the material covers more easily it might be worth the
effort.
The 3/4 chip board floor on a new home spans nearly 24" so 3/4 plywood
can certainly handle 14" with no problem.
I guarantee they will be strong enough. Any other reinforcement
(assuming the box is nailed on all 6 sides and is made of 3/4
material) IMHO is just overkill. If you need to use 1/2" or 3/8'
material then reinforcement might be needed.

Mike O.