Scratch Ankle Wood

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I am in the market for a PORTABLE table saw.

I have reviewed the archives and am still left with questions as to
which one to get.

Years ago I almost got the DeWalt DW744 (bright yellow with bubble gum
dispenser option) but other issues demanded that I direct my attention
to other things in life other than woodworking.

I note that Bosch, Rigid and Makita now have offerings similar to the
DeWalt.

I do understand that a contractor saw is a better value but I already
have an Unisaw sitting in the shop.

The saw that I am now looking to buy is to be used as a PORTABLE saw. I
am past the years where I would place my Unisaw in the trunk of a car
to go to a jobsite.

I also have a $100 Craftsman portable saw that does fill a need on
occasion (like loaning tools to the neighbors) so I am not looking to
buy at that level of the table saw market.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

TMT

That Dewalt 744 is a great machine (for it's size) but I can't recommend
it for portability. I found that just dragging it around the shop
knocked the fence out of line every time and it took a lot of fiddling
to get it back in line. I finally got smart and built a cabinet on
wheels for it and tossed the stand. Now I'm happy with it. Of course,
I bought it for size in an extremely small workshop. Portability was
not a concern. Some of the others are set up for actual portability.
One of the magazines had an article about them. Seems like some folded
up with good sized wheels so you could roll it around like a hand truck.