igor

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 10:20:45 -0500, Mike G wrote:

In article ,
says...
What connects the rails to the stiles? Glue? Glue and biscuits? It
_seems_ that in your process there is no force applied to the stiles into
the rails. I'm not saying that this is necessarily a problem. TIA. --
Igor

I'll have to look but I guess I didn't make it clear. After the dry
fitting and cutting, biscuit slots are cut in the joints of the face
frame. IE rails to stile. Glue is applied too both the back of the
rails/stiles, carcass, and, of course, the biscuits and joints where the
pieces join.

Thanks. That makes sense.

The with the rails in place the second stile is dry fitted to them for
the clamping purposes of closing the rail/first stile joint.

About the clamping, do you clamp the FF parts sideways to each other AND to
the carcass (at the same time)? Do you use edge clamps?

While I appreciate the need for/benefits of squaring (and the potential
contribution of the FF) as others have mentioned, it _seems_ to me that
your system is a bit more forgiving and adjustable -- versus Swingman's
system, which seems completely logical but not at all forgiving -- for
those of us who may need forgiveness from the woodworking gods. -- Igor