Martik

"mike hide" wrote in message

"glockdoc" wrote in message
ups.com...

If your in a mild climate, you will probably be ok with fabbing your
own dbl panes. My dad (Atlanta, GA) slaps a piece of plexiglass over
the windows (interior side) in the heating season to create a temp dbl
pane. Doesn't have any problems with condensation. Here in central TX I
have taken apart dbl pane windows to clean out the smoke (damn my
renters that smoke)that leaked in and then reassembled/installed. No
problems, didn't even use any sealant. The problem with sngle panes
around here is when a cold front blows thru and the temp drops 20dg in
1hr, the humid air inside the house condenses on the now cold glass.
Some day I will try making my own dbl panes. Awhile back I checked on
buying some of the spacer strips, they contain dessicant and have the
adhesive preinstalled. About $1 per ft and that was a few years ago.
That adds up fast, I will first try the wood strips. Also, the bigger
the space the better the insulation factor.

Acually the bigger the space the greater the more interpane convection and
therefore condensation . About 1/10" ispace is ideal....mjh

Then why does every window mfg use 1/2"- 5/8"? I have a glass door and 1/2
glass screen door about 6" apart and there is never any condensate.