Hamilton Audio

Default spark ignited furnace question

I've noticed recently on my spark-ignitied (not standing pilot) Olson Mini
Max furnace that the spark ignition runs a LOT longer before it stops and
fires than it did before.

in the last 1.5 years here, the furnace has just "bzzzz.poof", sparking for
maybe 4 or 5 seconds at most and lighting without fail. Now
(internittently) the unit will spark for 15 or 20 seconds and seems to
"timeout" and then light. other times it lights perfectly.

in my gas fireplace adventures, I know that there is a part in the furnace
that detects the presence of flame to tell the unit that the pilot is lit
(so stop sparking, and open the gas valve). what is the proper name for
this part? it seems that these devices are right at the front and fairly
user serviceable....

I am a handy person and really really hate to give money to a technician to
do super simple repairs....

any ideas?