Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
ups.com...
Just a few minutes ago, I thought I smelled something burning......not
food or anything like that.....more like a faint smell of rubber
burning.
This washer is a top loading Maytag, model A308/A308S. I bought it new
at least 15 years ago.......it's faithfully served a family of 2 since
then, never needing any repairs or adjustments.

You have two belts. If you smell them, one is not being turned by the motor
and it is rubbing on the pulley and starting to burn. Replacing the belt
will maybe solve the problem, but it is more likely, the belt is being hung
up be either the pump or the tub.

Anything can be repaired. A service call will probably be $50 and up. This
may be negotiable with a local dealer though. If the local guy comes out,
finds the problem and says it will cost $200 to fix, you can either pay the
money or, ask him if he will not charge you for the service and apply it to
the new washer you are going to buy from him. .

In my case, I bought a new set of belts and found the problem more serious.
I went back to the dealer and told him I was going to by a new one instead.
He gave me full credit for the belts and the new machine was delivered and
set up three hours later. You don't get that type of service from the big
box stores. FWIW, it was Maytag that was over 20 years old.