Paul Barker Paul Barker is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger
I have a 20 years old Glow-worm Spacesaver wall boiler which works fine,
providing pumped CH and gravity DHW.
B/Gas 3 star engineers keep telling me the they can "no longer guarantee to
be able to source spares"...ie a sales ploy to sell a new boiler.
Our local council are supplying discounted high efficiency boilers as a
greening initiative, but I reckon the bill will be £2k with fitting and
maybe mods to the exisiting system.
Any of you experts got any impartial advice ?
My gut instinct is to try and source spares for my existing boiler to keep
it going as long as possible.
What do you think.?
I like the Buderus condensing range, the system boilers are very reasonable cost, and the combis are excellent. Slight problem with size (BIG) and they are more noisy than most but beautifully engineered and a dream to service/repair. They've been at the condensing game over 20 years on the continent where it took off a lot sooner.

For a good condensing system boiler pay £700 or so, for a combi a little over a grand. Should be a days labour, maybe a day and a half in certain circumstances. If someone in your area is trying to get £1,000 out of you for a days work give me a call I'll travel anywhere in the country for a days work at half that pay. I charge £300 for a combi swap in my area but I'd need more to travel a long way.