IMM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 11:08:37 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

The makers stated overload was fine.

Really? In writing?

We had it in writing from the gas boards. Tables etc.

When privatisation comes along, there
is none and the punter pays through the nose. As time went on and houses
became insulated and boilers more efficient using less gas, overload was

far
less of a problem.

I see. Here comes the fudge.

Did you get fired for incompetence?

They wanted to keep me on and gave shining references.

I guess something along the lines of:

"IMM worked for us for 20 years, during which time he was seldom
late".

If the manufacturers intended their meters to run as a design goal at
50% over stated capacity, they would rate them that way.

How do you know?

If there is overdesign on the part of the manufacturers it is for
reasons of a safety or accuracy purpose.

If I recall, the meters were not recommended
to operate at 100% overload at
100% of the time.

The subtle change of tune.

No. They could operate at 100% overload, but 100% of the time. Very clear.
One would not be fitted to a commercial installation that ran at 100% over
24/7. For domestic it was fine. Got it? Read again if you haven't.

A domestic boiler is intermittent in operation, and
modern boilers modulate down, meaning meter
overload is even more feasible these days.

Accompanied by more fudge.

As you are hard of thinking, these days overload would be minimal compared
to 25 years ago. But the private sharks will still not accomodate it.