Mark & Juanita

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 02:06:25 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

.... snip

Yeah, like I can remember everybody's password for everything.

Yep, that's becoming a problem for even regular users. My company's
password policy requires changes every 90 days, the main LAN log-in then
starts dunning you 20 days before password expires, asking, "Password
expires in xx days, do you want to change now? (Yeah, right, tell me when I
have a couple days left)" Then, in addition to LAN and main PC there are
a minimum of 5 other applications, sites, or web log-ins that each require
passwords, each changing every 90 days, each demanding various complexities
or not allowing certain similarities to prior passwords. Now, I'm an
engineer/engineering manager who has more than one or two things to think
about each day and wasting brain cells memorizing each of these ever
changing passwords is just not somehthing that even hits the bottom of my
priority list. So, like every other user, all my passwords are written
down -- yep those password policies really helped improve security, didn't
they? Now, I won't say where those passwords are, but suffice it to say, I
don't hide them under my keyboard or mousepad -- I have a little bit of
operations security sense.

Sorry -- rant mode off

.... snip

I discovered a new kind of tech support hell on this one. They had some
kind of voice recognition thing on the voice mail, so I had to talk to the
HAL 9000 and tell it where I wanted to go.

You know, the sad thing is that approaches like this are likely to
succeed because the metrics being kept will show that 1) Number of calls to
tech support decrease over time (obviously they are getting a better
product out, it's not because people have given up on the product and
support) and 2) Duration of calls has decreased (the automated menu is
providing an optimal solution, it's not because callers get frustrated and
give up)

But I kept confusing it because
I found the idea of talking to a voice mail thing so humorous that I kept
giggling and making it lose its place in the tree. I kept imagining Scotty
picking up that mouse. "Computah, Ah want information on transparent
aluminum."

Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry