Dave

A 20 amp two pole breaker is worth about 15 bucks. Although I agree in
principle that the system should run fine on the 30 amp circuit, I wonder
whether your warranty would still hold if something happened. The internal
wiring on their machine will not be of adequate gauge for 30 amps of
current. In the owner's manual they will say that they want a 20 amp
circuit, not a 30 amp circuit. Sure, Grizz should have designed the system
to internally trip with excess current. But if you blow the motor and Grizz
find out that 30 amps were running through the wires, they might find cause
to blame you for some of that problem. Changing the breaker is a one-minute
job. Cheap insurance.

Dave

"loutent" wrote in message
Thanks for the help everyone.

Since I already have the double 30 amp breaker
and the 10 g wire with hot,hot,ground, I am
going to use it as soon as I get to the Borg to
get the proper outlet and plug.

Nothing like an electrical question to
stimulate discussion - especially in a woodworking
group!

Lou

In article , loutent
wrote:

I had an electrical question a few months ago about this, and got
several varied responses - mainly because I did not have enough
information I believe. Now I actually have something to
work with!

I have a brand new Grizzly 1023SL sitting in the basement
(almost) ready to plug in. I have a copper,10 gauge (3 wire - ground,
neutral, hot) coming from a 30 amp (unused) breaker which used to
power a water heater (now gas). Our house has 200 amp service and
is less than 20 years old (just for reference).

Grizzly recommends 20 amp/220. Do I need to change
out the 30 breaker for a 20? If I leave it as is, will I
harm the magnetic switch or anything else?

Thanks for any input.

Lou