J. Clarke

leonard wrote:

I hope monster cable wins . they are only doing what any business does to
protect it very valuable name.Others that use similar names should expect
looked also. Copy right laws exist for a purpose. but do not worry about
this small company (he's fine), he has done it for the free publicity for
his business.

Uh, did you read the damned article? He's launching a preemptive
strike--they sued Disney and some woman who named her little hole in the
wall store after her cat. Since nobody in their right mind buys their
overpriced lamp cord they seem to be trying to salvage their dying company
by profiting on lawsuits.

Further, it's not copyright, it's trademark, and the general legal situation
is that you only have a legitimate claim if there is a reasonable
possibility that the use of the word might create confusion. There is no
possibility that someone is going to confuse, say, "Monsters, Inc", with a
cable manufacturer, but they sue anyway knowing that most folks will cave
rather than fighting it out. Unfortunately, Disney caved when Monster
Cable went after them--they would have done the world a real service by
smashing that outfit flat and forcing it into bankruptcy then buying up the
scraps and shipping them to Japan to be melted down and turned into
something useful.

Len
"Brian" wrote in message
I apologize for the OT post, but I feel the need to spead this story as
far as I can (and encourage you to do the same).

I did not write the original posting, but I share the sentiments 100%.
Such a sad state the American legal system is in that these things --
which IMO are in some cases out-and-out extortion, and in all cases
flagrant abuse of the legal system -- are allowed to continue.

Read on, and spread the word...

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::::::::
http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,...611825,00.html

What a bunch of greedy assholes.

snip

BTW, anybody as offended as me should drop them a line:
www.monstercable.com/company_info/contact.asp

I told Mr.Graham that I would print out the Denver Post article, add a
request to boycott monster cables and stick copies of that into all the
classrooms I'm teaching in at the local music university. I'm actually
done with printing.allready...
I added that from now on out studios would be 100% monster cable free
zones (they allready are, but they will remain like that as well).

Seriously, this just can't go unanswered. I sincerely ask all of you to
a) write Mr. Graham a reasonable but honest mail and b) don't buy
anything of that company anymore until they changed their strategies.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)