George

"Chuck" wrote in message
On 7 Jan 2005 17:07:50 -0800, "jamesleroy"
wrote:

I don't have much room to work in and was considering a saw to cut bowl
blanks. Ryobi and delta 9" saws look so cheap and flimsy. I have a
dremel 19" scroll saw but figure it won't handle it. Any suggestions
are appprediated. Jim

Jim,

I have the Delta 9", which I've been using regularly for over 3 years.
I have very limited space, and with a Jet Mini with a 10" swing, the
Delta has proven invaluable.

That's the key. What size pieces will you need? A chainsaw is accurate to
1/4" in dimension, a bandsaw to 1/16". If your wood regularly challenges
the swing of the lathe, you want a bandsaw. Taking a quarter inch off with
the gouge or scrub to fit the lathe gets old fast. If your lathe will
swing whatever you slap on it, chainsaw will do.

The 9" is just not much of a saw. The iron 12" are a pretty good value for
the money, but even they should be considered an interim measure. If you
can swing 12, you need 6 capacity (half a log), if more, match on the same
basis.