machineman

Airy R. Bean wrote:
I was given a B&Q sander/linisher in my Xmas Stocking.

However, the accompanying instructions are remarkable
by their paucity.

Behind the vertical part of the linisher belt is an adjustable
metal plate which is presumably to prevent the belt from
distending under the applied pressure while linishing.

My question is, how close to the belt should the plate be
when setting up? Presumably there should be a small gap
so that the belt will not rub on it and so wear when free running?

If tou are referring to a vertical belt sander similar to the ones on
this page http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2005/main/102.cfm?
The backer plate should just touch the belt. If you leave a gap then if
you try to sand or grind a part, you may round the edges over a bit, or
you get a curve over the lenght of the contact area. The belts are
designed to slide on the contact plate without wearing.