Martin H. Eastburn

Leo Lichtman wrote:

"Howard Eisenhauer" wrote: Is that watts RMS? (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Howard, I hope you did that on purpose. "Watts RMS," a term popular in
advertising audio amplifiers, has always galled me. I can see no way for it
to have any meaning, considering what RMS stands for, and what it is used
for. :-)

Guess you don't remember the amplifiers that said 100 watts!
100/2 - 50/channel then that is peak to peak value - /2 (again) multiply by 0.7
and you find out the speakers you are using consume 10 watts before
sound is heard from the big cones - take it back doesn't work!

Peak to peak numbers and peak values were rampant. Finally standards were done.
Had to be RMS voltage * RMS current. E*I.

Liken it to the Horse power of power tools - one horse is a pony another
is a Morgan.

RMS is the effective heating power into a pure resistance = EMF voltage for same heating power.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer