Joseph Meehan

Tom Edelbrok wrote:
I have a switch in the foyer and another at the top of the stairs.
Each switch can control the light above the stairs. But when I enter
the garage (right at the location of the switch at the bottom of the
stairs) I have no control over the garage lights. So I end up walking
across the garage in the dark to turn the garage lights on. When
done, I have to turn off the garage lights, then walk through the
dark back to the foyer.

Here's what I want: The two existing switches stay as they are (they
work great for the light above the foyer stairs). I want to add a
light and switch just inside the garage door as I enter the garage
from the foyer. This light and switch would be hooked into the
existing system that has two switches and one light. When I enter the
garage I flick a switch to turn the new light on. Then I can see my
way to the other side of the garage to turn the main garage lights on.

One problem - I had someone come in to hook it up and they said that
when it was hooked up 'one way' the lights went dim. When it was
hooked up the 'other way' the lights didn't work. I don't know a lot
about electricity but when viewing a diagram of 'two switches
controlling one light' (pulled off the web) it seems to me to be
impossible to do what I'm trying to do because the new second light
(with third switch) would always be in serial instead of parallel to
the existing light (my meager electrical knowledge says that you
don't hook lights up in serial).

So was this a dumb idea? Can it only be done by running electrical
wire all the way from the other side of the garage to the foyer? If
on the surface of garage drywall is a conduit required? And finally,
does my renovator know what he's doing (obviously not!).

Thanks in advance,

Tom Edelbrok

They did not hook it up correctly.

You need one four way switch in addition to the existing two three way
stitches. The four way switch will come with instructions as to how it is
wired. It may replace an existing three way, using that three way in the
garage or the new one may go in the garage whatever works out easiest to
wire.

The new light need to be wired in parallel with the existing light.

Note: don't ask your "someone" come back to do the wiring as they don't
know enough to do it. If you don't know enough to do it yourself hire
someone who does. Generally it is legal to do your own wiring work on your
own single unit home, but not someone else's. You also should contact your
local building people to find out what rules they have. This is really to
protect you and your insurance. Keep in mind that is something goes wrong
with this and it was not inspected and approved your insurance may not pay
off. That could be expensive.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math