Kyle Boatright

wrote in message
oups.com...
We just moved into a new house in end of November with berber carpet in
the family room, stairs and master bedroom. The carpet in the family
does not seem to align properly. We measured the width of the room to
confirm it is in perfect rectangular shape. Unfortunately the carpet
installer disagree with us, they said the tufting lines are bowed in
one area. I took pictures at all four sides of the carpet and I think
the entire carpet is tilted (see below links). The response from the
builder can be found at the end of the message. Can someone tell me if
the carpet installer is correct?

Your carpet has a problem with bow and skew, which is the industry term.
Since we don't know who manufactured your carpet, there is no telling what
their acceptable limit is for bow and skew (yours appears to be skewed), but
believe me, there is a tolerance, and your carpet almost certainly exceeds
it. Take a tape measure and measure the amount of skew in the carpet. In
general, this is measured as a certain number of inches per 12', so if you
can find a tufting line that is 12' long and disappears under the molding
after 12', measure how far away from the wall it is at the furtherest point.
Then write a letter to the dealer and tell them you have a bow and skew
problem of 6" (or whatever) per 12', and your expectations (do you want it
replaced, do you want an allowance - figure out what you want). A reputable
dealer should take care of the problem. If the dealer doesn't satisfy you,
contact the manufacturer. Before you contact the manufacturer, you'll need
some information about the carpet, such as style number, color number, and
the roll number your carpet came from. You'll probably need to get this
information from the dealer.

I have no idea what your damage spots are caused by. Could be a solvent or
something. That kind of thing must be identified and pointed out right
after the installer finishes, because once you use the house/carpet, it
become a he said/she said kind of thing where there is no way to prove that
the damage wasn't something you did.