Tom

Be sure to do some cost calculations first. I considered replacing the
single glass windows with double paned insulated glass in my Minnesota house
a few years ago. I was going to use the existing sash and replace only the
glass. I gave up on the idea when I calculated the payback to be something
like 15 years (if I remember right). Going from one pane to two only
increases the R value from about 1 to about 2 which is still very low. Such
a small change in thermal transfer for such a small area does very little to
improve heat loss and insulated glass is expensive.

Going to insulated glass may offer the benefit of more comfort if you're
sitting near the window, but don't count on it to save you any money.

Spending money on air infiltration by weather stripping is much more cost
effective.

Tom

"JerseyMike" wrote in message

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message

"Martik" wrote in message
I have a fixed wood frame window with the glass secured by flat 3/4"

strips
of wood on the inside. To prevent condensate forming between the two

panes,
do I need to air seal the two panes or just secure with a second set of

wood
strips?

I asked a glass man about this once, and what he showed me was an
aluminum
strip with desiccant inside about 3/8 thick. this would be placed
between
the two panes and them a sealer was used all around. This whole unit was
then set into the frame.

This set up might be suitable with your situation.

--

Roger Shoaf

that's the only real solution. take off the moldings and take a good
measurment of the glass inthe window opening. then go see your local
glass
shop and order at minimim a 5/16" insulated unit. do not measure the glass
tight from side to side, you want at least 1/8" less on your width and
height measurements. he'll tell you about installation tips, but it's easy
and do not re-use the old moldings they will need to be trimmed down to
allow for the new thickness of the unit. you can use flat stock material,
but make sure your bottom and top are installed first. you can use latex
caulk on the outside to make a good seal on glass to wood moldings for
painting purposes, but set the new unit in a clear silicone on the
backside
or interior side of the opening *or* if the window is set from the inside
do the opposite.

good luck...and make sure the opening is square before ordering anything.