John Rumm

T i m wrote:

Ah, good point (and they did suggest the use of a seat or stool). At
some of the Campsites we use they have a small plastic stool (with
soft wide feet) in the shower cubicles and they have acrylic shower
trays (or they looked like it to me?)

If the stool had wide soft feet you may be ok as long as the fibreglass
tray has a decent thickness of ply bonded to the underside to give it
support.

The shower base is one of the low ones so I assume the waste will be
under the floorboards. Knowing my luck, the waste will have to go
'across' the joists, sigh but what does one do if the trap ends up
'on' a joist?

Position it so it does not!

Well, I'm not sure how I can? If It goes back against a wall and the
joists happen to run longwise under the plughole, there's nowhere I
can go?

Well you could have a look at the joist layout before you buy the tray.
Some have a waste outlet in a corner, some the middle of one side.
Beteeen the different designs and also rotating the tray to position the
waste for best fit, you should be able to get away with it.

You may find it simpler to build a small plinth for the shower to sit
on. The stone trays are quite low profile, so even sat on a 4" plinth
they whole base will be no lower than many fibreglass trays.

(that should have said "no higher" ;-)

They are discarding the bath because of the 'difficulty' for my Dad to
step into a bath. I can't see a plyinth being a problem but in this
case I think the lower the better?

As you say, lower is probably better. If you did need to use a plinth
then you could mitigate the issue by making the plinth twice the width
of the tray such that there is a staged area in front (or beside) of the
shower. That way the step into the shower is no higher than the tray
itself (although there is a step onto the stage - it gives you two bites
at the total ascent).

The tray I got was 10cm tall in total IIRC. I put it on a plinth to ease
the drainage since the joists ran the wrong way to make running the
waste under the floor.

If the step is a real issue then perhaps you would be better looking at
a wetroom type setup where you build a waterproof floor section.

Either way, designing in hand rails as you go would probably help.

They have a range of thermostatic shower mixers, snip

Sorry no, not looked at them. FYI I fitted a thermostatic bar mixer that
I bought in Makro for 45 quid. Seems to work very well. Screwfix do
something similar.

I did spot that .. so that plus a riser bar (~£40) and the shower
flex and head?

For the screwfix one that sounds about right. The one I got was actually
45+VAT all in, including the head and riser etc.

Pre-empting the instructions .. do I fit the shower tray and tile down
to it or tile the wall first?

Got it .. make sure it's well tucked under etc ;-)

And lashings of silicone at each stage of assembly ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.