IMM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 23:54:40 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 22:43:31 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 14:34:51 +0000, Andy Hall wrote:

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 12:57:13 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

A spec. is a spec.

Precisely.

I think it's a bit like saying that you can get 16A from a 13A plug.
Which no doubt you can (since the fuse will likely not blow
for hours if at all).

Balls!!! I used to design gas systems in the 70s.

Perhaps you could let us know where so that Transco can be called to
correct the errors.

U6 meters have an 100%
overload.

With full accuracy and full lifetime?

They could run at 100% over for a very long time. I forget the figures

now.

I imagine that you did then as well by the look of it.

We would take them up to 350 cu foot an hour.

Nearly double the specified rating? Was this official gas board
policy?

Yep.

No wonder they were shut down.

Go to your meter.
Take off the outlet pipe and fit a 1" hose to outside, then turn on

the
maintap. Time the dial for 30 secs or a minute. See how much gas it

then
passes for an hour. I bet it is more than 212 cu foot an hour.

That it may, but it does not mean that
it is correct engineering practice.

It was in the 1970s. Now private rip off artists like Transco make you

pay
when there is no need to.

It seems that they are delivering and using equipment within
specification. Ownership has no relevance to that.

If I recall rightly. There was:

1. 100 cu ft/hr (3/4" connections. known as 5 light connections because

it
could only take 5 lights in Victorian times on town gas. The term is

still
used)

You did say the *19* 70s when you were doing these design bodges?

2. 250 cu ft/hr (1" connections. known as 10 light connections)

3. 400 cu ft/hr (1" connections. known as 10 light connections)

4. 800 cu ft/hr (1 1/4" connections. known as 20 or 30 light connections

think [all vague now])

They were all replaced with only two meters:

1. U6 (6 cu meters/hr) 212 cu ft/hr (1" connections. known as 10 light
connections)

2. U16. (16 cu metres/hr) 560 cu ft/hr (1 1/4" connections)

We fitted U6s for less than 350 cu foot/hr and U16 for above. The U16,

if I
recall rightly, we fitted for up to 800 cu ft/hr.

If a premises required less than 100 cu ft/hr. we left in the old 3/4"

iron
mains pipe. If above 1" was used. A U16 meter required a 1 1/4" mains
pipe. The exception were there was a very pressure gas main. Some roads
had very pressure trunk mains that fed a district, and was governed down
normal pressure. If a hosue was on this mains pipe special high pressure
meter regulators, with a blow-off to outside, were installed and a U16

may
have been OK with a 1" mains pipe.

All from memory, so may not be 100% right.

I just wonder how much of this bodged up infrastructure is still in
place.

You wouldn't know a bodged up job if you fell on one. Why do you persist in
making a part of yourself?

It seems that one of the less palatable
sides of a public monopoly organisation
is to make up its own rules as it goes along
with the customer having no knowledge or
choice in the potential danger or billing
error that may have been introduced.

Stop babbling crap!

I would much rather have a choice of organisations implementing a
defined specification.....

Yep that is what they did, as stated above.