T i m

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 20:56:54 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

1) Are these acrylic ones ok?
2) What would be the advantage of 'stone'?

If you are thinking of the possibility of using a stool in the shower
(as per your previous post) then I would discount all thoughts of
anything other than a stone tray since you are likely to get hole
through a acrylic/fibreglass one.

Ah, good point (and they did suggest the use of a seat or stool). At
some of the Campsites we use they have a small plastic stool (with
soft wide feet) in the shower cubicles and they have acrylic shower
trays (or they looked like it to me?)

The resin caped stone trays are not that expensive. I got a 800mm square
one from B&Q for under 60 quid.

Could still be worth a look then .. (if not that much more expensive).

The shower base is one of the low ones so I assume the waste will be
under the floorboards. Knowing my luck, the waste will have to go
'across' the joists, sigh but what does one do if the trap ends up
'on' a joist?

Position it so it does not!

Well, I'm not sure how I can? If It goes back against a wall and the
joists happen to run longwise under the plughole, there's nowhere I
can go?

You may find it simpler to build a small plinth for the shower to sit
on. The stone trays are quite low profile, so even sat on a 4" plinth
they whole base will be no lower than many fibreglass trays.

They are discarding the bath because of the 'difficulty' for my Dad to
step into a bath. I can't see a plyinth being a problem but in this
case I think the lower the better?

They have a range of thermostatic shower mixers, snip

Sorry no, not looked at them. FYI I fitted a thermostatic bar mixer that
I bought in Makro for 45 quid. Seems to work very well. Screwfix do
something similar.

I did spot that .. so that plus a riser bar (~£40) and the shower
flex and head?

They also do a double ended pump (didn't note the make or spec) for
about £130, but should I spend a bit more and go for the Stuart Turner
(as we might ebay the pump later if she goes for a Combi boiler
thing)?

The STs certainly have a good reputation, especially regarding noise.

Ok, that would be big plus for me but as they are both getting deaf
now ... ;-)

Pre-empting the instructions .. do I fit the shower tray and tile down
to it or tile the wall first?

Fit it and then tile down to it. That way you ensure that the run off
from the tiles is already over the tray. On my one fitted the tray
first, rendered down to it, and then tiled over the render just to be
absolutely sure!

Got it .. make sure it's well tucked under etc ;-)

The ceiling is lathe and plaster snip

Can't see anything wrong with putting the PB over the existing ceiling
so long as it is screwed to the joists and not the lath. Taking down a
lath and plaster ceiling is a seriously unpleasent and messy job!

True been there, kicked that down but it just feels wrong to put
plasterboard over over the existing .. ;-(

Will it be 'ok' to run the shower into the drain

As long as it is 38mm diameter or better you should be fine.

If it isn't it can be ;-)

I am not
aware of any notification requirements for fitting a shower.

Ok, thanks ..

Aquapanel? Builders merchant probably.

Cheers .. at least I can start with a sensible question .. rather than
"do you stock any of that waterproof shower wood backing sheet type
stuff please"

You can also DIY with a sheet of WBP ply, staple expanded metal lath
over it, then render with a mortar mix containing some water proofer.
Tile straight onto that.

That was what I was thinking I'd have to do till I remembers this
'special stuff' ;-)

Last (possibly stupid) question .. does one have a skirting board in a
bathroom these days? Mum want's it tiled top to toe if that makes any
difference?

Down to personal preference I guess. Our existing bathroom (came with
the house) is tiled floor to ceiling. No skirting, but has coving. The
one I just built however has skirting.

Ok . well I'll have to give her the choice then ;-)

p.s. In spite of her tumble in the carpark yesterday my 74 yr old Mum
asked me if she could borrow my hammer and bolster and start getting
the tiles off the wall! They don't make em like that any more .. ;-)

Giver her a SDS and stand well back! ;-)

I know she would!

All the best ..

T i m