Martin Angove

Default Crap B&Q Mains Halogen Spots

In message ,
" Tim \(Remove NOSPAM." wrote:

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
I recently brought 18 Mains Halogen Potlights from B&Q, and found
after fitting that 6 of the halogen bulbs failed within 3 days.

How did you install the light fittings? Perhaps the biggest effect on
halogen bulb life is the method of installation. In particular, these
fittings run hot and need good airflow to keep the temperature down. If

this
doesn't happen because they are fitted in an insulated roof void, then the
bulbs will pop like corn.

The truth of the matter is that no mains voltage 50mm type bulb will last
anything like "long enough" due to its flawed design- and its popularity is
only because of the convienience factor of not having to install a
transformer as with a 12v unit.

Now you've got me interested. In what way is the design of a mains
voltage halogen bulb "flawed", and in what way will a similar Wattage
12V halogen be better? I have fitted literally hundreds of the 12V
things and can't say I was ever overly impressed with their lifespan
(though some manufacturers are better than others). I've only fitted a
few 240V bulbs so far, but as far as I can tell their failure rate isn't
any worse than the 12V-ers.

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove: http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/
.... To shoot a mime, do you use a silencer?