bob

Same here. Kids bought me a 14.4v Ryobi trim saw/drill combo for Father's
Day a few years ago. I took the saw (less than a year old at the time) and
two fully charged batteries to a local place where I buy baltic birch. I
needed to rip 2 sheets of 1/2" baltic so they would fit in the SUV. I am
not making this up - the trim saw cut exactly 2 feet on each battery before
dying. A sheet of baltic is 5' long. Fortunately, the yard had a hand saw
that I could finish the cut with.

I was at the same yard two days ago with my almost new Milwaukee 18v trim
saw and two batteries. I bought four sheets of 1/2" baltic. The Milwaukee
breezed right through all four cuts with plenty of battery to spare.

It boils down to buying quality tools. A used quality tool is better than a
new, cheap tool.

I still have the Ryobi set and will let it go for a song.

wrote in message
ups.com...
I bought a Ryobi 12v battery powered drill from HD some time back.
Exactly 1 year from my purchase date (h'mmm) the batteries would no
longer hold a charge longer than about 4 hours. They worked great, buy
you had to leave the a battery in the charger all the time.

This tells me the batteries were shot. Buying two new batteries cost
more than the drill so I threw it out as junk.

I bought a Makita 12V at HD for $20 more than the Ryobi (it was a
closeout special ; ) and have had it for several years and it is
great. The batteries are always in the state of charge that I left
them in.

So, to be honest I would really shy away from anything Ryobi in the
future.

You get what you pays for and you pay for what you get is my motto.
Chris