Phisherman

On 7 Jan 2005 09:03:32 -0800, wrote:

I'm planning my first woodworking project - a set of shelves in our
walk-in bedroom closet. 5 shelves each about 4.5' x 14". I was planning
on using 3/4" birch plywood for the shelves since I want them pretty
smooth. Each shelf will be supported by solid pine cleats running along
the wall.

What is the best type of smooth opaque finish to use on this? It has to
be perfectly smooth so none of our sweaters will get pulls as they go
on and off the shelves. Also something cleanable would be nice. It also
has to be white. I don't think paint is going to setup smooth enough or
be cleanable. What are my other options?

Thanks!!
-Bob

After you trim the edges in solid wood, sand everything with 120, 150,
and 220. Prime, then _lightly_ sand with 220. Apply a gloss white
paint, allow to dry for a few days, and lightly sand with 220. Apply
another coat of paint. After two weeks, apply Johnson's Paste Wax
with #000 steel wool and buff. You won't have any snags.

Another option is to apply a white laminate with contact cement and a
rubber J roller. Use a router trim bit and a chamfer bit. The
laminate, unlike the paint finish, will be slicker, easier to clean,
and won't need any finish work.