Phisherman

On 7 Jan 2005 05:51:21 -0800, "Andrew" wrote:

Looking over Ebay auctions, I noiced that Ryobi tools are going for way
less than other brands and most don't have any bids. I've always
thought Ryobi to be a decent DYI brand, good for the price at least.
Perhaps a step above B&D, on par with Skil, but definitely below PC.
But it looks like people are actually avoiding Ryobi at the (IMHO)
decent prices and paying 2-3x for a Dewalt. Personally I don't
understand the Dewalt craze. You'd think at least frugal woodworkers
like myself would rather have a cheapie Ryobi than no tool at all.

I bring this up because I got a used 12V 3/8" drill kit (2 batteries +
charger) for $30, which I thought was an okay price, at a local shop.
I'm very happy with it even though 12V is now outdated. I started
looking up other Ryobi tools and realized few people talk about it and
even fewer places sell it. Do many fellow woodworkers follow the
all-or-nothing philosophy? Get the best you can afford or don't get
it??
Andy

I think that is my philosophy--get the highest quality tool possible
or don't buy at all. Actually I have one Ryobi power tool that has
stood the test of time, a 3x21" belt sander now on its 18th year of
use that just won't quit. The flat top allows it to rest on the bench
to easily sand small pieces and the ends of dowels. It also has a
speed control. I would not buy a Ryobi drill, saw, or other Ryobi
cordless tool that I have seen as I've seen much better choices. But,
brands can (and do) change quality over time.