toller

"bakerguy" wrote in message
oups.com...
When I was replacing the switch for my disposal, my paranoia led me
test all the wires before grabbing the switch and I'm glad I did,
because the hot still had exactly 40V on it.

After playing the circuit breaker game for 15 minutes, I came to find
that the voltage only disappeared after I turned off the dishwasher
circuit. I thought the disposal was supposed to be wired on it own
circuit.

Can anyone explain this? I can't remember exactly how it was wired,
but one of the cables was 3-wire.

It is common, perhaps even normal, to put the dishwasher and disposal on the
same circuit.

However, if you turn the breaker off, the hot should have no voltage under
any circumstances. I suspect it was a ghost reading of no consequence.