T i m

Default Right shower!

So,

I took Mum into Homebase today (there's some stuff on sale and 10% off
everthing else) and I think she's settled on a rectanglar shower
cubicle with sliding door. Now this comes with a 'plastic' (acrylic?)
base as std, or a stone one for more money.

1) Are these acrylic ones ok?
2) What would be the advantage of 'stone'?

The shower base is one of the low ones so I assume the waste will be
under the floorboards. Knowing my luck, the waste will have to go
'across' the joists, sigh but what does one do if the trap ends up
'on' a joist?

They have a range of thermostatic shower mixers, some with really
modern controls. others more traditional. With the discounts we are
talking about £250. Looking on Screwfix something similar is a similar
price (plus I can get it easily from Homebase and take it back if
there's something wrong etc). I assume they would use someone elses
units .. anyone know what make they might be please (for future
spares).?

They also do a double ended pump (didn't note the make or spec) for
about £130, but should I spend a bit more and go for the Stuart Turner
(as we might ebay the pump later if she goes for a Combi boiler
thing)?

Pre-empting the instructions .. do I fit the shower tray and tile down
to it or tile the wall first?

The ceiling is lathe and plaster and has quite a few crack / holes
etc. *My* intention is to pull it all down and fit plasterboard
instead .. I don't like the idea of fitting stuff over the top of
existing? (Ignoring time here as I'm doing it (or as much of it as I
can) to help my Mum).

Will it be 'ok' to run the shower into the drain that the bath has
been using (for the last 60 years .. I'm thinking regs here). Talking
of regs .. do I need to tell anyone about this refit (I'm not trying
to avoid doing so . straight question) ;-)

The shower is going to go up against one wall and what is currently
the airing cupboard. We thought about extending (deeper) the cupboard
(the same depth as the shower cubicle) and I though I remember there
was a sheet material ideal for these wet areas? What is it called and
where would I get it from please?

Last (possibly stupid) question .. does one have a skirting board in a
bathroom these days? Mum want's it tiled top to toe if that makes any
difference?

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. In spite of her tumble in the carpark yesterday my 74 yr old Mum
asked me if she could borrow my hammer and bolster and start getting
the tiles off the wall! They don't make em like that any more .. ;-)