Mike

Charlie Self wrote:
captmikey notes:

But I wouldn't want to lug a Unisaw into my 15 X 20 basement shop

and
deal with it coexisting with my two benches, jointer, SCMS, and all
the other "stuff". Did I mention a lolly column? I have a mobile
base on my saw, and I can easily move it, or rotate it, or lock it

up.
The one drawback is the dust, and I hope to remedy that with a

compact
DC setup this year.

The lugging around I can understand, as the Unisaw weighs upwards of

400 pounds
(tilt and walk works, though). But I cannot for the life of me

understand why
people who have used a cabinet saw keep saying the footprint is

larger than,
say, a contractor's saw with similar accouterments. It isn't. And the

basic
saw, with a similar fence, is actually a wee bit less deep because

the motor
ain't hanging out the back.

The extra space consumed by the motor hanging out the back is the only
reason (for now) that I plan to eventually move up to a cabinet saw.
My Ridgid 2400 (stamped wings and all) performs fine for the time being
but I sure wish I could push it all the way against a wall. For that
reason (and the stamped wings), I'll keep my eye on the used tool
market for a good bargain.

Cheers,
Mike