igor

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 09:22:27 -0500, Mike G wrote:

Lately I've taken to an entirely different way to get perfect fitting
face frames.

I cut and dry fit the rails and stiles making one stile is slightly over
sized in width. I cut biscuits for the joints in the face frame then I
glue and clamp one of the stiles in place on the carcass. That one I
flush too the side of the carcass. When the glue has set up I apply glue
and insert the biscuits and fit the rails glue and clamp them down to
the carcass. Since each is hand laid they are easily placed flush with
the shelves. When that glue is set up I apply the second over sized
stile in the same manner and when the glue has dried I use a flush cut
bit to trim it flush to the carcass.

Due to clamp time it takes a couple of hours longer to do it that way
but the result is a perfectly fitting face frame every time with no rush
to fix things if I find I happened to maybe cut a rail a tad shy or
proud or something thing isn't exactly square, it happens to all of us.

Note, I use the second stile with clamps but without glue to close the
joints between the first stile and the rails.

What connects the rails to the stiles? Glue? Glue and biscuits? It
_seems_ that in your process there is no force applied to the stiles into
the rails. I'm not saying that this is necessarily a problem. TIA. --
Igor